Academic Information and Policies

Registration and Attendance

Registering for Classes

Registering for classes is a process conducted by the student via the MyMHCC portal at Students may register online until 11:59 p.m. the night before the first day of a class. Please note online learning classes begin on the day the term starts. You can only attend classes that you are officially registered into and cannot sit in on a class without the proper registration for the course. For registration dates, final exam schedules, and planned campus closures, visit the Registration Calendar.

Late Registration: After midnight on the day a class begins, instructor approval is required to register late or to add a class from a waitlist. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure the approved add is processed through the Admissions, Registration and Records office. Adding late will affect the student’s financial account and the student is responsible for all charges associated with the class.

Waitlists: If a class is full, a student can choose to go on a waitlist. If, while on a waitlist, seats become available, students will be added prior to the day a class begins. A student will not be added to a class from a waitlist if it creates a schedule conflict or if the student is already registered in another section of the same course. If a student is on multiple waitlists for the same class, the student will be added to the first opening and dropped from all other waitlists. Students are responsible for removing unwanted classes including those that are waitlisted via the MyMHCC portal.

Attendance / Administrative Drops

Students are expected to attend all classes in which they are enrolled and attendance is mandatory the first week of a class unless students have made prior arrangements with the instructor. Students who do not attend class during the first week will be recorded by the instructor as non-attending and will be dropped from the class roster.

Administrative drops can be processed by the Admissions, Registration and Records office for unmet requisites prior to the start of the term. Instructors have through the end of the fourth week or equivalent for non-standard term length courses to drop students for unmet prerequisites or lack of attendance. When an administrative drop is done after the refund period, all charges associated with the class remain and a "W" for "withdrawn" will be assigned by the Admissions, Registration and Records office in lieu of a grade on the MHCC transcript.

Registration Tampering

Altering the registration records of another student without that student’s permission is considered a violation of the student code of conduct.

Transferring to MHCC

Students planning to transfer to MHCC should complete the Transfer to MHCC steps, then visit the Student Services Hub for assistance with registration, financial aid, and more. MHCC accepts transfer coursework from regionally-accredited colleges and universities.

  • Official e-transcripts may be sent only by the institution or other secure delivery service provider to E-transcripts forwarded by students are not considered official.
  • Official paper transcripts must remain sealed and may be mailed to: 

MHCC Admissions Office
26000 SE Stark St.
Gresham, OR 97030

Please note: MHCC does not accept graduate-level coursework.

Alternative Ways to Earn College Credit

MHCC provides a number of ways a student may earn credit toward a degree or certificate. Up to 45 combined credits may be applied toward a degree or certificate via:

All institutional requirements for certificate and degree programs must be met and no more than 25% of credits applied toward a degree and/or certificate may be earned via CPL. 

Dropping and Withdrawing

Registration obligates a student to pay for all charges associated with the class. Refunds are granted only when a course is dropped within the refund period. Courses dropped within the refund period class will not be recorded on the MHCC transcript. Non-attendance is not a basis for a refund or non-payment of tuition. Students are responsible to process a drop via MyMHCC from unwanted courses. Course cancellations by the college will result in a full refund provided a refund is due.

When a drop is done after the refund period, all charges associated with the class remain and a "W" for "withdrawn" will be assigned by the Admissions, Registration and Records office in lieu of a grade on the MHCC transcript. There are consequences to dropping/withdrawing from courses.

  • Students who stop attending classes without officially withdrawing by the deadlines will receive the grades assigned by their instructors and will not receive a refund or removal of the charges associated with the class.
  • Students are advised to consult with their instructors prior to withdrawal.
  • Students receiving veteran’s benefits must notify the Veteran Services Coordinator of intention to drop/withdraw. Failure to do so may result in overpayment which will need to be returned to the Veterans Administration.
  • Students receiving financial aid also must notify the Financial Aid office of their intention to withdraw.
  • Students may not withdraw from classes that have already ended (i.e., non-standard length classes) regardless of whether or not the class has been graded.

Withdrawing from College

An official withdrawal from MHCC is defined as the student withdrawing from all courses for the term after the refund deadline. The withdrawal deadline is the last day of instruction before final exams. After Friday of the seventh week of the term (or equivalent for nonstandard length classes), students can only withdraw in person. Students may be asked to complete a withdrawal survey.

Exceptions for late drops, withdrawals and refunds may be considered by committee, and only due to extenuating circumstances beyond the student’s control. Requests for exceptions must be submitted in writing, with official documentation, to the Admissions, Registration and Records office.


The MHCC District Board of Education sets tuition and fee rates and reserves the right to make changes without notice. The amount of tuition is determined by residency and by the number of credit hours. Some classes require an additional course fee. There may be other types of fees assessed as well.

Types of Fees

Access Fee: This fee provides for safety and security of all college properties and provides subsidies to encourage the use of public transportation. It is assessed each term to students registered for a minimum of one credit.

College Service Fee: This fee provides for processing and service costs for general admission applications, graduation processing, duplicate certificates/degrees, official transcripts, college placement testing and tutoring services. It is assessed each term to students registered for a minimum of one credit.

Student Fee: Student fees are disbursed on a comprehensive program basis for student government activities and for intercollegiate sports. The statement of philosophy of this financial support can be found in the Appendix of Board Policy and College Regulations.

Technology Fee: Technology fees provide for changing technological needs of the district.

Special Fees: Certain classes require tools, uniforms, equipment, insurance, etc., which are not covered by tuition or course fees.

Billing / Payment / Collections

Business Office – Student Billing | Room AC2253 | 503-491-6070 |

Billing and Collections Rights and Responsibilities

This information establishes standards for timely collection of all monies owed to the college. These rights and responsibilities apply to:

  • Any student (past or present) with monies owed to the college.
  • The personnel responsible for administration of the college practices.
  • Any private counsel or private collection agency employed by the college for the purpose of debt collection.

Student Account Statements

Students are notified via Saints email to view their electronic statement around the last week of each month. Account information is available online at Payment for all tuition and fees is due on or before the first day of the term. All charges must be paid in full before registering for another term.

Payment Options

  • Pay all tuition and fees by the first day of the term with cash, money order, check, e-check (electronic check), American Express, Discover, MasterCard and/or Visa. If a student registers after the term begins, payment is due the day of registration. This includes classes added from waitlists. If the student has applied for financial aid and has completed all steps including accepting their award offer, financial aid will automatically apply the student’s award toward tuition and fees during the second week of the term.
  • Student Installment Payment Note. Eligible students may enroll in a deferred payment plan. After a down payment, students may defer paying the balance of their charges in installments.
  • Financial Aid/Scholarship. If financial aid is not available by the first day of the term or does not completely cover tuition, select option 1 or 2 in the preceding text. If a balance remains on a student account past the due date, the account is subject to late fees and collection costs.
  • Veterans Deferral Note. Students with a VA certificate of eligibility (COE) or Tuition Assistance (TA) or in the process of obtaining a COE or TA may use a veteran deferral note. Qualified students must contact the Veterans Service Center, located in room AC1152, for further information or to complete this form.
  • Agency or Company (Third-Party Billing). Arrangements for payment by an agency or company must be pre-approved by the college. The student is responsible for ensuring that a payment authorization is on file in the college’s Accounts Receivable department by the first day of the term. Ultimately, the student is responsible for payment of all unpaid charges, including late fees and third party service fees.

Student Billing Responsibilities

By enrolling or having enrolled as a student at MHCC, students agree to be responsible for all charges on their student account and abide by the student account practices and policies. Students will be held accountable for understanding the practices and policies of college billing and collections including:

  • Billing and Collection Rights
  • Past Due Accounts and Responsibilities
  • Collections
  • Student Account Statements
  • Types of Fees
  • Definition of Terms
  • Refunds

Students are responsible for:

  • Conducting all financial affairs in a legal and ethical manner.
  • Payment of all incurred charges when registering for a class, regardless of whether or not they attend.
  • Processing a drop via web or in person at the Admissions, Registration and Records Office during the refund period for removal of charges and making sure drops via the web were successful.
  • Paying all incurred charges by the published due date regardless of whether a billing statement was received or if another party is making payment.
  • Ensuring the college has their correct name, address and email address. Addresses may be updated on or in the Student Services office.
  • Following the published process for charge disputes or refund petitions.
  • Payment of all penalties, assessed collection agency and legal fees associated with collection of their account.
  • Payment of all charges incurred and educational loan contracts, even if they are 18 years of age or under as per Oregon Revised Statutes 348.105.

Student Billing Rights

Students have the right to:

  • Access information about the nature and amount of charges incurred.
  • Access their student account record.
  • Dispute charges they believe to be in error.
  • Petition for removal of charges.
  • Maintain confidentiality of their student account.
  • Be notified of any impending collection action.
  • Be free from unlawful harassment.
  • Access all policies governing their student account with the College.

Student Financial Right to Privacy

The Business Office complies with federal regulations that prohibit the college from releasing financial information to anyone other than the student. If a student desires information to be released to a third party, a consent form must be completed and on file in the Business Office. The form is available in the Business Office or online through My MHCC à Student Services à Pay For School. This form excludes academic information. The Student Consent form will remain valid until revoked in writing by the student.

Definition of Terms

Auditing: Audited courses are not eligible for financial aid because the student does not earn credit or a grade. Students pay in accordance with the tuition/fee schedule.

Residency: Determination of residence for admission and other purposes will be made according to the following definitions: Residence is defined as a person’s domicile, his/her true fixed and permanent home and place of habitation. It is the place where one intends to remain, and to which one expects to return when one leaves without intending to establish a new domicile elsewhere. Domicile is not established by mere attendance at the college. A valid driver’s license, permit or identification (ID) card from Oregon, California, Idaho, Washington or Nevada is required for all students requesting in-state residency. Oregon residency must be established 90 days prior to the first day of class.

In-State Student: An individual who has established residency in Oregon 90 days prior to the beginning of classes.

Out-of-State Student: An individual who has not established residency in Oregon, Idaho, Washington, California, or Nevada 90 days prior to the beginning of classes.

International Student: A citizen of another country who is in the United States on a visa other than an immigrant visa.

Reciprocity: Reciprocal students pay in-state tuition if they have established residency in Washington, California, Idaho or Nevada.

Senior Discounts: MHCC offers a discount on tuition to in-district residents age 62 or older (does not include fees). Many non-credit, fee-based Community Education classes are eligible for discounts to MHCC district residents 62 or older. In addition, residents of Oregon, age 65 or older, qualify for free tuition for up to eight credits of transfer level classes taken as an audit grade (does not include fees).

Past Due Account

Tuition and fees not paid by the published due date are considered past due. A student account that has been assessed one late fee is considered a delinquent account.

  • Financial holds are placed on student accounts with past due balances after the last day to drop with a refund for standard length classes. This hold will restrict registration.
  • The College may require advance payment of future services on accounts that have been previously referred for collection.

Returned Checks

The current penalty charge listed on the web and all collection fees, including court costs and attorney fees, are charged to the student account on returned checks of any nature. Any returned check intended as payment of a student account will be considered as non-payment and subject to the conditions listed in the Past Due Account section. If a returned check was used to pay off a previous debt in order to register for the current term, the student will be administratively dropped from the current term. After the college has received a returned check, personal checks will not be accepted. The student must remit payment by cash or currently-accepted credit or debit cards.


Delinquent accounts 90 days past due may be turned over to an outside collection agency for collection of the debt. The college cannot make or accept special payment arrangements to avoid assignment to a collection agency. Educational debt is non-dischargeable under Section 523(a)(8) of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code. There is no statute of limitation on the collection of educational debt. Therefore, the college will attempt to collect from any student who seeks services of the college, even if that account had previously been deemed non-collectable. The consequences for a student’s account being turned over to collections are as follows:

  • The Oregon Department of Revenue may withhold the student’s tax refund and remit it to the college as payment toward their outstanding debt.
  • The student’s account may be reported to one or more national credit-reporting bureaus.
  • Arrangements for repayment must be made with the outside collection agency, not the college.


Students will receive a full removal of tuition charges and refundable fees for classes dropped by the published refund date via MyMHCC, phone, or in person in the Student Services Center. Non-attendance is not a basis for a refund or nonpayment of tuition. Refunds are automatically processed as a credit on the student account. Any credit applied to a student account resulting from a removal of charges or overpayment will first be applied to any institutional debt, even if the amount owed is not yet due. Late registration, class additions or registering for the next term may result in little or no refund.

If any payments were made with a credit/debit card, refunds are first credited back to the card up to the amount charged. All other refunds are processed through the college’s refund management service or by check made payable to the student and mailed to the address on file. Exceptions for any of the policies above are evaluated by committee and only due to circumstances beyond the student’s control.

Financial Aid

503-491-7262 | Room AC2253 |

Financial Aid is money to help students pay for school. The Financial Aid Office at MHCC helps students apply for and receive all major types of Title IV federal and State of Oregon financial aid.

General Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible for federal or state aid, all applicants must meet the following basic requirements:

Eligibility Requirements for FAFSA Applicants

In addition to the above eligibility requirements, students seeking federal student aid must:

  • Be a citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Have a valid social security number
  • Not owe a refund on a federal student grant or be in default on a federal student loan
  • FAFSA applicants do NOT need to complete the ORSAA, but may need to complete additional applications for state scholarships or grants.

Eligibility Requirements for ORSAA Applicants

  • Application is for undocumented Oregon residents only – this includes students who have Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status or Temporary Protected Status (TPS)
  • ORSAA applicants do NOT need to complete the FAFSA, but may need to complete additional applications for state scholarships or grants.

Limited Entry / Special Admission Programs


Some MHCC programs require an additional application, steps, and/or prerequisites before the student may be considered for admission. Students must apply within the time period prescribed annually by the Admissions, Registration and Records office. Once notified of acceptance into the program by the Admissions, Registration and Records office, the applicant must indicate his/her intention to enroll by completing registration in the program by an established deadline. Applications are for one academic year only. Admission to the college does not guarantee admission to a limited entry program.

Selection Process

Program personnel and a selection committee will review applicants who have satisfied the admission criteria. Top qualifying applicants will be selected for program admission or as alternates.

Course Requirements

The course requirements for MHCC programs are subject to change each academic year. For MHCC certificate/degree requirements, a student must follow the program requirements either for the year the student is officially admitted to the program or the year the student is completing the program.

Student Progress

Students in limited or restricted entry programs are expected to complete the curriculum within the normal two-year period or less depending on the degree or certificate. Upon verification by the Admissions, Registration and Records office that the degree/certificate requirements are satisfied, students will automatically be awarded the degree/certificate for the program. Students need to complete the entire curriculum in the program’s prescribed sequence with their cohort to be eligible for automatic awarding of the degree. Please note, students who wish to have their name printed in the Commencement program book must apply for graduation. However, if a student cannot complete the curriculum within the normal period, a program may be extended with permission from the program faculty adviser. In such cases, the student will need to complete a "Petition for Program Leave of Absence" form. This form outlines the details of the program extension agreement. Because of enrollment limitations, extending a program beyond two years must be on a space-available basis.

If the student’s studies are interrupted or extended by five years or more, degree requirements for graduation may have changed and the student may be asked to complete current requirements in order to earn the certificate or degree. Students who are unable to maintain satisfactory progress may, through a process of review, be removed from a program. This is especially true in regard to clinical education in which patient safety is involved.

Transferring in to a Limited Entry Program

Advanced standing to some programs may be available to some students with previous education by faculty approval. This may be possible where students have partially completed similar programs at other institutions or where related certificates have been completed.


Grades are not mailed. They are available online at

Grading Scale

Grade Definition
A Excellent: 4 points for each credit hour
B Above Average: 3 points for each credit hour
C Average: 2 points for each credit hour
D Below Average: 1 point for each credit hour
F Failing: 0 points for each credit hour

The following are not included in GPA calculations:

Grade Definition
S Satisfactory
U Unsatisfactory
I Incomplete
K Continuing Progress
X Audit
W Withdrawal
NR Not received from instructor
IP Class still in progress

How GPA is Calculated

MHCC computes GPA using the four-point system and by dividing the total grade points by the total quality credits. For example: a 4-credit class with an A grade is 4 credits x 4 points = 16 quality points; a 4-credit class with a B grade is 4 credits x 3 points = 12 quality points. Total points earned = 28. Divide 28 by 8 credits for a GPA of 3.5.

Grades are assigned based on work completed at the end of the scheduled class time. Additional work or make-up after the ending date of the class is not justified unless an Incomplete was assigned.

Grade Point Average Adjustment

A student’s cumulative grade point average will be adjusted automatically the first time a course is repeated for a higher grade. Subsequent repeats of the same course will all be factored into the grade point average. Only one instance of a course can count toward graduation unless the course is repeatable for credit. Prior to summer 1996, different GPA adjustment policies existed. Contact the Admissions and Records Office if you have repeated coursework prior to summer 1996. 


A student may be assigned an “I” (Incomplete) when insufficient work to justify a grade has been done by the student due to excusable reasons. Though individual circumstances may warrant unique decisions, it is commonly expected that the student will have completed at least 75 percent of the class requirements and students must work with their instructor to exercise this option.

Incompletes are to be made up prior to the end of the following term. Students do not need to re-register for the class when fulfilling incomplete requirements. Students no longer enrolled must complete the coursework within a four-quarter maximum (including summer). Incompletes not made up within these timelines do not automatically revert to a grade. They remain an “I,” unless changed by the instructor.

Pass/Fail or Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory Option

Certain classes offer the student an option to receive a grade of "S" (satisfactory) or "U" (unsatisfactory) instead of letter grade (A, B, C, D or F). This option must be exercised no later than the end of the seventh week of instruction for standard term-length classes. Check with the Admissions, Registration and Records office for last day to change grading status for non-standard length classes. For evaluation and transferability purposes, the "S" grade is equivalent to a grade of "C" or better.

K Grade

A “K” (Continuing Progress) is only assigned for a very limited number of Developmental Education courses and indicates a student registered, attended, and met some of the objectives, but did not advance far enough to receive credit for completion. A student who receives a "K" grade must reregister, repay and pass the class satisfactorily to receive credit.

Audit Option

Students electing to audit a class (no grade, no credit) must choose this option no later than the end of the seventh week of instruction for standard term-length classes. Check with the Admissions, Registration and Records office for the last day to change grading status for non-standard length classes. Auditing students pay in accordance with the tuition schedule and participate to a degree determined by them and the instructor. Audited classes are not eligible for financial aid.

Standard of Academic Progress

To assist students with accomplishing academic goals, the college supports the process of reviewing the academic progress of all students enrolled in courses. At the end of each term, the college reviews the grade point average achieved by each student enrolled in courses. If a student’s term GPA falls below 2.0, the student is notified of his/her academic status and any mandatory measures that may be required.

Honor Roll

President’s Honor Roll

Students who achieve a term grade point average of 3.85 or above with a minimum of 12 credit hours will be listed on the President’s Honor Roll for that academic term.

Dean’s Honor Roll

Students who achieve a term grade point average of 3.65 to 3.84 inclusive with a minimum of 12 credit hours or part time students with a minimum GPA of 3.65 in six or more credits will be listed on the Dean’s Honor Roll for that academic term.

Rho Theta / Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society

Rho Theta is the MHCC chapter of Phi Theta Kappa, the international honor society for two-year colleges. To join Rho Theta, a student must have accumulated a total of 12 credit hours at MHCC toward an associate degree and must have a 3.5 cumulative GPA or higher. All members must also maintain at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA. Rho Theta is designated on the student’s MHCC transcript under the academic term that the student qualifies for Rho Theta, and Phi Theta Kappa sends a certificate and membership number to each new member.


Students can utilize the college’s online degree audit system to verify their progress toward their degree/certificate. All classes taken at MHCC, as well as transfer coursework that has been evaluated, are used to meet degree/ certificate requirements. Students are strongly encouraged to review their degree audit online and meet with an adviser frequently to ensure progress toward certificate and degree requirements are being met. For more information or assistance on running a degree audit or applying for graduation, visit the MHCC website at or visit the Student Services HUB.

Degrees and Certificates may be awarded upon completion of both institutional and credential specific requirements. The Associate Degree will be awarded to students who satisfy the following requirements:

  1. Complete a minimum of 90 credit hours according to an organized curriculum. (Some programs may require more than 90 credit hours.)
  2. Successfully complete all required courses in a career-technical, general studies or a transfer degree including the general education requirements as listed in the catalog.
  3. Maintain a 2.0 grade point average for all courses being applied toward the degree and maintain a 2.0 GPA in the candidate’s major classes (e.g., course prefixes such as DH, FSE, NRS, etc.). Specific programs may have additional GPA requirements.
  4. Satisfactorily earn 12 credit hours at MHCC. Non-traditional credit (College Level Examination Program, Experience-Based Credit, Challenge, etc.) does not satisfy this requirement.

Course Substitution

A faculty member who wishes to substitute a required course may complete a Course Substitution Request form and submit it to their dean for approval. 

Graduation Guidelines and Process

The graduation application should be submitted two terms prior to the term of completion. Example: Student anticipating completion in spring term 2020 should apply by end of fall term 2019.

In order for transfer credits, including applicable military credits, to apply toward an MHCC degree, students should complete the steps found on Once evaluated, transfer credit remains as part of the student’s permanent record. All coursework will be evaluated and documented on the student transcript, including all attempted credit. Upon completion of the certificate or degree program, transfer GPA is not calculated into the MHCC record.

Reverse Transfer

MHCC participates in a Reverse Transfer Program with many Oregon universities. This program helps students earn associate degrees after they have transferred to a four-year school and accumulated the credits needed to fulfill the Associate degree program requirements.


All students who have applied for graduation during the academic year are eligible to participate in the June commencement ceremony even if coursework is not completed by spring term.

Student Records


It is the student’s responsibility to arrange for correcting any errors in the MHCC transcript record within four academic terms (including summer). Students may generate a free, unofficial copy of their transcript via the MyMHCC portal at Official MHCC transcripts may be requested by the student in one of four ways: online, mail, or in person at the Student Services HUB during regular business hours. 

Records Retention

MHCC adheres to the minimum records retention guidelines set forth by the State of Oregon. These records retention guidelines may be found on the Oregon State Archives website. In some cases, MHCC retains records longer than the minimum set forth by the state.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights regarding their education records. They include but are not limited to the right to:

  • Inspect and review the student’s records.
  • Seek amendment of the student’s records that the student believes are inaccurate, misleading or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights.
  • Consent to disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except for when consent is not required by FERPA.
  • File a complaint with the Department of Education, Family Compliance Office, concerning alleged failures by the college to comply with the requirements for FERPA.

Directory Information

MHCC has chosen to release limited Directory Information as defined in the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). The following information is considered to be MHCC directory information and may be released by the college registrar or designee upon request:

  • Student’s current enrollment status
  • Student’s name
  • Verification of certificate or degree earned

Students are employed in some areas of the college as work study and student aides, and before any access to student records is given to them, they receive FERPA information and sign off on the institutional statement of understanding form that validates they have been given and understand FERPA requirements.

Exceptions to this limited release may include but are not limited to:

  1. MHCC may release alumni names and addresses to the Alumni Office for their communication with MHCC graduates. Alumni are defined as students having graduated from MHCC whether currently enrolled or not, and
  2. Student athletes may sign a special release of information form through the Athletic department for the release of information regarding their registration activity, grades and access to their permanent record by their coach or the dean of health and physical education/athletic director. They may also give permission to release academic records and photographs to coaches representing four-year colleges and to media representatives.

Disclosure of education records is allowed when a court approves an application submitted by an Assistant U.S. Attorney General (or higher-ranking federal official) that contains “specific and articulable facts” that the education records are relevant to the investigation of or prosecution of terrorism. FERPA was amended to allow such disclosure by Section 507 of the USA PATRIOT Act.

Directory Information for use within the college is permitted in accordance with FERPA guidelines, however, disclosure within the college does not constitute institutional authorization to transmit, share or disclose any or all information received to a third party.

Restriction of Directory Information

When students restrict the release of directory information, the preceding information will not be released. A Request to Prevent Disclosure of Directory Information form is available in the Admissions, Registration and Records office. Your request to place or remove the restriction is effective no later than two working days after the completed form has been received by the Admissions, Registration and Records office. The restriction of information is permanent until the student requests, in writing, that it be removed. The restriction will remain in place even after the student has stopped attending MHCC or graduated from the college.

Students will be required to present photo identification or personal identification number (PIN) when they wish to inquire about their own academic or registration history. Information will not be provided to anyone, including persons who claim to be the student, parents, relatives, friends, other students or prospective employers, who may wish to contact the student or verify the student’s status at the college, without written authorization from the student.

Restricted directory information is made available where an emergency is involved, at the direction of a subpoena or court order, to MHCC staff and faculty with a legitimate educational need to know, or in other limited situations described in this notification.

Release of Grades

The Student Records Policy prohibits publicly disclosing grades linked to personal identifiers, such as names, student numbers or social security numbers. Grades may be posted by assigning another unique number. The return of graded papers or other assignments must be accomplished in a manner that protects the identity of the student. The instructor is responsible for protecting the identity of the student.

Solomon Amendment Disclosure

The Solomon Amendment requires by law that upon the request from recruiters of branches of the military, the college release:

  • Student name
  • Address
  • Telephone number
  • Date of birth
  • Education level
  • Academic major
  • Degrees received

If a student requests that this information not be released, MHCC will not release to military recruiters or other parties except as specified in this notification or upon written permission from the student.

Social Security Number Disclosure Use

OAR 589-004-0400 authorizes MHCC to ask students to provide his/her Social Security number. Provision of Social Security numbers and consent to their use is not required and if students choose not to do so, they will not be denied any right, benefit or privilege provided by law. They may revoke their consent for the use of their Social Security numbers at any time by contacting the Admissions, Registration and Records Office. The numbers will be used by the college for keeping records, doing research, aggregate reporting and extending credit and collecting debts.